31 December 2007

the music that keeps me going.

In the spirit of all the end-of-year best-of lists, I have been thinking for a while now about the music that I just can't do without... not a top ten list, but a list of the albums that have affected me most powerfully... my own "best of" list, albums that have stood the test of time for me.




Good Dog Bad Dog - Over the Rhine (1996, reissued 2000)
A masterpiece, simply put. I could listen for hours at a time and never be any less affected by Karin's haunting voice. Songwriting has never been so honest and potent.



Sixpence None the Richer - Sixpence None the Richer (1997)
The triple-whammy, three-bleeding-into-one trinity of opening songs captivates me every time I listen to it... it's a damn shame that "Kiss Me" (though a wonderfully sweet pop song) ended up killing the band and overshadowing what is otherwise a very different feeling album. Remove "Kiss Me" and you have a very different masterpiece of poetic, wandering musings about faith, despair, hope, and hard reality.


This Beautiful Mess- Sixpence None the Richer (1995)
This cd got me through high school. I still connect to it deeply each time I listen to it.


It's Hard to Find a Friend - Pedro the Lion (1998, reissue 2001)
Dave Bazan made it okay for many of us frustrated young Christian burnouts to struggle out loud with our faith. see: "The Secret of the Easy Yoke"




Christ is My Hope/Birds of My Neighborhood - Innocence Mission (2000/1999)
It's got to be a tie between these two cds, both of which have some of my favorites songs by this underrated and understated band.




to be continued...

2 comments:

megan said...

i'm happy to see that someone else has appreciated Sixpense in the midst of the mid 90's pop enslave they faced. great choice of little listened to music.

Unknown said...

So funny how behind i was. While you were a cool weird high schooler listing to amazing music, i was still jamming to Audio Adrenaline and Newsboys. It would take me 5 years to finally find that good music, thanks to you and Stephanie.